Monday, January 31, 2011

Tacos--an old standard that changes with the seasons

I have a few all-time favorite dishes. They are kid-friendly, and so fast and yummy they are close to being counted as junk food (dangerously close, I would say). Among them are macaroni and cheese, hamburgers, and the dish I made tonight, tacos.

Tacos are fast and never fussy (meaning that if you don't have a particular ingredient, just skip it or substitute). I brown some ground beef or beans, onions, jalapeño, and garlic in olive oil. Next I throw some tomato paste into the hot oil and let it caramelize, which adds layers of deliciousness. I then add some spices and herbs, a little water, and let it simmer while I throw together some salsa (which I sometimes buy), some quick guacamole (which I never buy), I chop some cilantro, and spoon up a little bowl of sour cream if I have it, a little cheese, if I am in the mood... Often, If I use tortillas, I just quickly heat them on a very hot, barely oiled skillet. And in the summer, I love to serve the meat on a bed of salad greens.

But the mid-winter taco must be tweaked. Instead of the salad greens, I opt for the hearty dark leafy greens such as kale, collards or chard. They tend to be a better buy this time of year, the taste actually improves after a frost; and hey, I think I'm desperate for the vitamins so I love the stronger flavors. In tonight's tacos I added a large bunch of chopped kale into the meat with the water and spices. The spices, I doubled. There is something about the winter cold and lack of great produce, that makes me yearn for the stronger warming aromas of spice. There must be something good for me in there! So I go crazy and add as much as I want. The salsa in winter is often the preserved kind (hopefully done at home the previous summer), as the winter tomatoes are awful. And if I can find an avocado, I'll use it. But they too, are sorely out of season, and must be flown in from far away.

So, try the basic recipe below and let it change with you, throughout the year.

Basic Taco Template:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb ground beef, chicken, turkey, etc. (or 1 can pinto or black beans)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 finely chopped jalapeño (seeds removed)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
1 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups chopped hearty greens (in winter), or salad greens (in summer)
1 cup water

8 tortillas, either flour or corn

Saute the meat, onions, garlic and jalapeño, until vegetables are translucent. Add the tomato paste and stir until it has become incorporated into the mixture and begins to turn brown. Then add the spices and cook, stirring for a couple of minutes while the spices bloom. Add the herbs, the greens and water. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer until dry, stirring occasionally.

Heat another skillet with a tiny bit of oil and toss in fresh tortillas, one at a time, cooking on both sides until soft and pliable.

Serve immediately with any or all of the following: chopped cilantro, guacamole (or just chopped avocados tossed with lime and salt), sour cream, shredded cheese, and salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment